Monday, February 7, 2011

Guest Post 2: A Question of Balance.

There have been some recent articles in Slate concerning women writers, including how often their works are reviewed by the NY Times (there, that was the NY connection), and how many articles by women appear in magazines:
http://www.slate.com/id/2265910/
http://www.slate.com/id/2283605/

The upshot of these articles is that it's still a male-dominated world, with the dominance falling somewhere between 60% and 90% depending on what and how you measure. I haven't tallied the comments on this blog, but my impression is that if you did categorize them, you'd find a similar level of male dominance. The male dominance in guest blogs is (as of this writing) absolute. However, in the main blog, it's clear that before her return to Col-o-rah-dah, Twila was slightly dominant.

Is it possible, at least in part, that Twila has chosen, in general, to cease creating new entries because she has sensed the unbalance in this blog compared to the rest of the literary world and is seeking to correct it?

-cad

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

True, however it is a good time for me to say something. Associating dominance with superiority or submission with inferiority is acutely incorrect.

Anonymous said...

AND...

'Colorado' is correctly pronounced COLO 'RAD OH, not COLO RAH DO' or anything else. I know, it's country, but that's where we are.

(Same goes for Nevada.)

twila said...

Durf's semantic dissection aside, Carl raises an interesting issue. I think (I didn't count, tho) that although I wrote more blogs, people commented more on Durf's blogs. One might argue that it is because Durf's blogs are more interesting. But on the other hand, it could be because people are predisposed to think male writing is more interesting and worthy of more consideration.

So I'm thinking Durf and I need to do some blogging without revealing the author of the blog. Sounds like fun to me. We could have an ongoing contest in which readers try to figure out who wrote which blog. Now that sounds like fun! Or is it a girlie idea???

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Both. Let's do it.

cad said...

Durf, you said "True, ...", but I could not figure out what you're agreeing to. I suppose that will remain a mystery, like the author(s) of future blog entries. Also, "superiority", "submission", and "inferiority" were not mentioned in the text, so I suspect few of your readers know where that's coming from. Perhaps that, too, will remain a mystery.

Col-O-Rah-Dah is how my Texas cousins pronounce it. I make no claims for "correctness", political or otherwise.

cad said...

BTW, yes, I "borrowed" the title of the blog entry.

Anonymous said...

If you base your pronunciations on how your Texan relatives talk, you are not qualified to comment on the topic, IMO.

My comment is entirely apt and important. For example, when you work for a company, you are submissive to management, albeit perhaps reluctantly. No problem. But I have often seen "my superiors" act like they were, indeed, superior. And look at what CEOs pay themselves. For what? Having gone to business school? Give me a break.

Anonymous said...

My 'true' was agreement that Twila is trying to correct the bloggy balance. Was.