Thursday, February 3, 2011

The Simca.

The Simca was my first car. I bought it in the summer between my junior and senior years in high school. It cost $250.

(That isn't the actual car.)

It is hard to describe the pleasure that car gave me. Inside, it smelled like an old car, even better than a girl smells. ... ... ... Well, no, but you get the idea.

NY is kind of picky about driving... or was. Every driver needed a license, and every car needed both plates and insurance. They became really annoyed when those things didn't happen. I had the car and I had a learner's permit, but I had no insurance and no plates. Insurance was the big sticking point, and I was saving almost everything from my summer job.

Every day I went out and drove the Simca forward and backward in the driveway. It was euphoric. I probably put 100 miles on it, going back and forth. One day I just couldn't stand it anymore, and I decided to drive the Simca around the block. It went uneventfully until I approached the last turn before getting back to the safety of my driveway. There was a stop sign at that intersection, and a police car with a policeman inside was parked right there. My body went cold, but there was nothing I could do. It was a short block, and he would surely notice if I made a U-turn. So I pulled up to the stop sign, knowing that my car without plates was as noticeable as Howdy Doody in the nude, and tried to play it a lot cooler than I felt. Somehow, he didn't notice me. Needless to say, perhaps, I didn't try that trick again.

School had started when I finally had enough money for insurance. I registered the car, got my plates, started driving to school. I was ecstatic. A BMOC. Not to mention that I didn't have to ride buses, which I hated, anymore. It was just so great.

Every plus has a minus, it seems. And my minus was having to drive Richard D. to and from school. He was in my class and he lived right behind me, so I had little choice. He was a fat kid whom I didn't like, but I was stuck.

The second week of using the Simca to commute to school, I was driving home with Richard next to me. I was on James Street in Syracuse, a 4-lane street with a 35 MPH speed limit. I was driving properly, when a car full of other kids from our class started driving to my left. They were laughing and giving me high fives. BMOC. I was gesturing back at them, when the guy in their passenger seat looked forward. His face immediately took on a terrified look, so I looked where I was going. A Niagara Mohawk power truck was stopped at a light right in front of me. I slammed on the brakes.

After the collision, the silence was profound. I could smell metal and exhaust. When I realized that I was okay, except for a broken nose, I looked at Richard. He had hit the windshield and it had split his forehead from one side to the other. I could see 3/4 of an inch of fat under his skin. But he was conscious.

Needless to say, perhaps, that was the end of the Simca. It was totaled. A policeman said if I'd been going 5 MPH faster, we both would have been decapitated.

It was a learning experience.

5 comments:

cad said...

A saloon car! Does that mean it was designed to haul VQBs?

twi said...

I assume Richard survived. And on the plus side, you didn't have to drive him to school anymore.

Anonymous said...

Richard did survive. He and his father (with my father in cahoots, I think) claimed that he had lasting effects. I went to my insurance company and told them that Richard was playing sports and that he'd made the honor roll, which he hadn't done before the accident. I don't know what happened, but I did tell my dad about it.

All my cars are designed to haul VQBs. Not inside me, though!

BTW, the car pictured is a '63. Mine was a '57, and didn't really look like that.

Anonymous said...

Almost certainly it was older than a 57. I really can't remember, at the moment.

skipway said...

what did you learn?