Monday, February 14, 2011

Vacuum doesn't suck, Part 1.

Several of you already know and understand the things I'm going to say, and others might be bored by it, but I think it's way cool. As I mentioned, when I first entered the semiconductor industry, I was lucky to be assigned to high vacuum equipment. Along the way I worked on many other types of fab equipment, but mostly it was vacuum, and that was the most interesting by far. I even became a member of the American Vacuum Society, which is impressive in some circles. Not that I really deserved it. To join you have to take some classes and then be nominated by three AVS members. Taking the classes was easy, but then what? I didn't even know any AVS members. I solved that problem by going with a fat dead guy from Timex to an AVS conference in Denver. I learned that if you go around and ask strangers to nominate you, eventually you'll get the signatures, especially if you wind around to the same person three or four times.

What is vacuum, anyway? Well, that's a good question. Maybe the best answer is that vacuum is nothing, and it doesn't suck. That's probably a good thing to remember when you're vacuuming your carpets.

We are at the bottom of an ocean - the atmosphere. It's a lot like more familiar oceans, except that there are birds instead of fish. And it weighs a lot - 14.7 pounds per square inch. Fortunately, our internal pressure matches that, so we don't get squished. The downside is that if we got thrown into a vacuum like space, our blood would boil and we'd blow up. But that probably isn't worth worrying about, unless Obama loses in 2012.

Vacuum is someplace air isn't, a hole in the atmosphere. We're all painfully familiar with vacuum cleaners, a simple vacuum pump. Basically they're a fan that blows air from the hose out through some filters. If you put your hand against the end of the hose, it will feel like it's being sucked in, but it isn't. Vacuum doesn't suck. What's happening is that the atmosphere is pushing on your hand more than the hose is. Your hand is being pressed against the hose, not being sucked into it.

That might be handy to remember when you're vacuuming. Dirt isn't being sucked into the vacuum cleaner, it's being blown in by air rushing into the hose. That's why it's a good idea to use the rotating brush - it kicks dirt particles up where they are most likely to be caught in the air stream.

It's easy to create low vacuum with a fan or other simple device. But semiconductor processing and other processes require high vacuum, where a fan is ineffective. Gases have to be removed on a molecular level, and how that's done is (I hope) interesting.

TBC...

7 comments:

Ed said...

That fat dead guy was the one that hired me at Timex. I showed up for my interview and they told me he was busy but I should go into the fab area anyway. He was wedged under the table holding the vacuum fill ovens for the liquid crystal displays messing with the pump. Suddenly a wrench came flying out from under the table and he rolled over and looked at me, said "You crawl under here and fix this f-ing thing and you got a job". So I changed the oil in the pump and the rest is history.

RIP Eric

Ed

Durf said...

Great story, Ed.

Eric was an interesting man. He was one of the few people at Timex who cared if anything got done, and he could be annoying at times. But he was smart and a good guy. We used to go to the Peppermill across the street after work for a beer or two, and there he taught me to play Go. I never won, of course, even with a handicap. Those days were a lot of fun.

Ed said...

Do you remember the tall, good looking eastern european girl in the chem lab? Elena?
How about Burt and Bill in building maint?
Karen and Beth?
Man, that hurts my brain thinking back that far.

Ed

Anonymous said...

I remember all of those except Bill. How about Shelly, Sharon, and Deborah?

Anonymous said...

Nick Bricker. Steve, the tall blond guy. I wish we could have another Timex reunion.

Ed said...

Steve Maki
Herman Stern?
Of course...Tom Scala
Sam... Last name started with Y. Short asian guy.
How about Mike from the chem lab?

What was the name of the guy that was the big boss there? He bought a DeLorean and I got the job of polishing it every week. Got to drive it to the gas station tho.

Ed

Anonymous said...

Do you mean Malcolm Kinter?