Sunday, January 23, 2011

Disaster.

Yesterday morning I went to work. I unloaded FM2 and started the first grind. Then I unloaded FM1 and pushed the button to start the first grind. The grinding wheel started. When it came up to speed, the optic started to rotate and the carriage began to approach the optic. During that time I stand with my hand on an Emergency Off switch in case something goes wrong. Also, an Optional Stop was set, which stops the carriage when the wheel is close to the optic. Then the start button has to be pushed again. I was watching the wheel approach the optic, and suddenly there was a sickening sound of breaking glass and spacers. The wheel had hit the optic. I pressed the Emergency Off button, but a great deal of damage had been done. This really sucks.


4 comments:

cad said...

Please tell me you're wearing safety glasses when you're doing this stuff!

Anonymous said...

Carl, you really got to the heart of it. An eye is worth more than an optic, probably. Right after the incident I looked around and there were shards of glass everywhere. I immediately thought, "Oh my frog, I should have been wearing safety glasses." So I lucked out. Today, starting FM2, my glasses were on.

cad said...

Glad to hear you got away with it, and even happier to hear you'll be wearing your seat belt and keeping your hands and feet in the safety zone at all times from now on!

cad said...

There has been broken glass in the past, right? So there must be a procedure to remove the broken layers and resume. If you get a chance I'd like to hear how that's done. I haven't figured out how the last bad set of spacers is removed, for instance.