Friday, January 28, 2011

Ghosted!

In the Nevis Labs building there are offices, etc. The lab itself is a big room with a very high ceiling. It is poorly lit in the mornings. The optics lab is a small room near the center of the bigger room, and it is brightly lit. The door to the big lab is marked "Please Close", and it is almost always closed. I make a point to close it.

I arrived at work this morning just before 3:30 AM. As usual, no-one else was there. If anyone ever is there at that hour, which is rare, it's usually Marcella (our QA person) working late, or a student doing an all-nighter.

I mentioned in an earlier post that there is a ghost in the lab. He doesn't bother me. He makes strange noises and sometimes bangs on the side of the optics lab, but I ignore him. This morning he was more active than usual.

At about 6 AM I took a bathroom break. While I was in the bathroom, I heard a noise outside. "Someone is here," I thought. I wondered who it might be. A minute later I heard a voice say something like, "Don't worry." When I came out of the bathroom, I couldn't see anyone in the hall. I walked to the lab door and it was wide open. "YIPES!", I thought.

I got rid of fear many years ago, so I wasn't afraid. I was curious, though, about who was in the lab. But I didn't see anyone, and there was no-one in the optics lab. That seemed very strange. And when I left an hour and a half later, there were still no cars outside the lab.

It was the ghost, I suppose. I wonder what he was up to.

No comments: