Sunday, January 23, 2011

What is it you can't face?

That was the question on the T-shirt of the usher who showed us to our seats in the theater yesterday. We saw The Divine Sister. (It's a play about nuns.)

Durf and I have been (sort of) following the same rule Tanya and I follow at Telluride: step out of your comfort zone and go see something you would not usually shell out peanuts to see. And that is how Durf and I found ourselves in the audience of a farce.

So in the spirit of the genre, I read the ushers' shirts and waited patiently for that line to come up in the show. Eventually the mother superior, during a heart-to-heart with another nun, said, "What is it you can't face?" whereupon the lesser nun jumped from her chair and exclaimed, "You called me cunt face!"

It might not sound all that funny to you. I guess you'd have to be there. After all that's the best part of "in jokes," they are for the people who were there.

Reminds me of another inside joke that I thought was funny. After going diving in Australia, I bought a shirt that said Great Barrier Reef on the front and on the back it said, "where going down is a way of life." My parents couldn't believe a person of substance would wear something raunchy. My friends thought it was adolescent. I thought it was funny.

And as long as I'm telling sense-of-humor stories on myself, I'll confess that I laughed uproariously at the scene in Pulp Fiction where John Travolta accidentally shoots (splatters the brains of) the guy in the back seat of his car. I try not to think about it too often because it always gets me laughing again.

1 comment:

cad said...

I went to see Pulp Fiction with a friend. He thought it was a great movie. I thought the same, but in the same sense as Voldemort. Great, but terrible. It made my brain hurt to laugh at such terrible things! I've never seen it again. My friend brings it up every so often just to see my reaction.