Thursday, January 13, 2011

Technology trumps tyranny.

I have good credit. I pay my bills when they arrive, I have no debts, and my credit score is over 800. But you never know what's going to happen.

A few weeks ago my phones started to ring. Since both my landline and my cell were ringing at the same time, I knew the perp was calling my Google Voice number. Caller ID showed an 800 number, so I declined to answer. But they kept calling, every hour, so finally I answered. A woman told me I owed GE Money Bank $166. That was interesting, because I'd never heard of GE Money Bank.

What had happened was this. Twila and I were shopping and I wanted to buy a jacket, since the weather was getting cooler. I found a nice one at the Gap. As I was standing in line to check out, a man behind me offered a 45% discount card - he had two. All I had to do was apply for a Gap credit card. I didn't need another credit card, but I applied and was instantly approved. The jacket was applied to the card, and the balance was $51 after the discount. A good deal!

I waited for the credit card to arrive, but it didn't. No invoices arrived, either and I mostly forgot about it. Then I received the phone call from GE Money Bank. The woman on the other end was... well, I would say low paid. When I'd figured out what the problem was, I told her I'd pay the $51, no problem. She told me that with interest and finance charges I now owed $166. I told her it wasn't my fault, and she couldn't hope for more than the original charge. She threatened a collection agency, and I wished her luck.

A couple of weeks later more 800 calls started. I finally answered and it was a collection agency. The guy I was talking to seemed nice. I told him I really wanted to fix the problem, and eventually we reached an agreement. He said they'd waive all but one of the fees and that I'd have to pay $65. I told him none of the problem was my fault, but I agreed. I gave him my address and asked him to send me the bill.

A while later the bill arrived from the collection agency and it was for $166. My desire to cooperate evaporated. I immediately wrote to the collection agency, describing the entire situation and emphasizing that I had received nothing at all from GE Money Bank, until the late phone call. I said that I would pay $51 and not another cent, and that I would vigorously contest any negative mark on my credit reports. I enclosed a copy of the original invoice.

Soon the telephone calls resumed. I had to turn off my phones at night, because they would call in the wee hours of the morning. Then I turned technology on them.

Very few people have my actual cell phone number. If I want someone to be able to reach me at any time, I give them my Google number, which rings all my phones. So I went online and added the agency's phone number to a blacklist. Now when the call my Google number they get a busy signal. They still could have my landline number, though. Fortunately, it is a VoIP number. I logged on to my provider's site (ViaTalk), and blacklisted the same number. That was a couple of weeks ago, and no more calls have arrived. Probably they're still calling and calling. Heh heh. Hopefully they'll send a reasonable letter soon so I can pay what I owe.

I realize this post is probably boring, but I haven't been to the cricket museum yet.

2 comments:

skipway said...

it was actually more fun to read than the techie stuff about the machines at work which is hard to really get into, fascinating though it may be, because it gives more insight into the durf!

creditor said...

aha! gotchu now, succa