Thursday, January 6, 2011

State of the project.

I'll be in New York until the project is finished. When will that be? Today FM1 is on Layer 93, so there are 40 more layers to go. If there are only two more down days because of no glass or some disaster, that's 7 weeks. FM2 is on Layer 80, so another two weeks plus. That means the earliest I'll be going home is the second week in March.

Everything has been going reasonably well. There was one recent incident. I was at work on December 28 and the second grind was running on FM2. I heard a noise like someone snapping his fingers loudly, so I jumped up to investigate. I stopped the grind to examine the optic. One of the spacers had broken and about 9 mm separated, which caused glass to break. I don't know if they ever figured out what happened, but I'll try to find out.

FM0, our "practice" module, went out and underwent a 25 G stress test. It passed!

No comments: