Friday, December 31, 2010

Adapting.

Yes, next Monday is the last day Twila will be part of this adventure, but this post isn't about that. I'm putting off thinking about that as long as possible. This is about the beginning of our adventure, moving to New York.

When we left our house in the middle of June to fly to NY to check out the area and job, it was very difficult for me. I was emotional about it. I told Twila more than once, "I love our house and Colorado and Loveland. Why are we doing this?" When we drove away a couple of weeks later, moving to NY, it was only a little bit easier.

Then the strangest thing happened. We moved into this small apartment and we had to adjust our lifestyles, but it was easy. It seemed to happen instantly. And, honestly, I could stay here, living in this apartment, living this life. I don't miss Colorado, our house, or our stuff. I know I'll be happy when we're both back home again, but for now this is home, and it's good.

Some of the things we had to adapt to we wouldn't have imagined. For example: we only have one bathroom, so we use it at a lower level of urgency, in case someone might be in it when we have to go; the bathroom is too small for a scale, so we put the scale in the living room, and every morning after getting up and peeing we move the scale to the kitchen floor and weigh ourselves; our dishwasher is small (and horrid), so we do dishes almost constantly; the same is true of our washing machine; our DVR is terrible, but we live with it; Twila's office is in the guest bedroom, but she has adapted wonderfully when we've had company.

People do what they have to do, I guess, and it's okay.

No comments: