Monday, December 27, 2010

An odd question.

As you might know, we had a little snow - Twila posted a couple of photos this morning. I thought it was great! "No need to worry about going out today," I mused, and settled down on the couch with a crossword. Life was sweet.

Then Twila said, "I think I'll stroll downtown to mail this envelope." (In all fairness, it was an envelope too large to deposit in the mailbox outside our apartment.)

(But, in all fairness to me, it was an envelope without urgency.)

I asked if she was joking, since the snow was almost a foot deep on the steep stairs outside our apartment. "Can't it wait for a day?"

"I just want to get outside awhile."

This is what being married is, mystery and challenge. What was going on in Twila's massive brain, I'll never know. But I do know that our apartment is filled with moving boxes, and I plan to spend as much time with her as possible in the time we have left.

"Okay, just let me finish this crossword puzzle and I'll go with you."

Unfortunately, I've gotten much better at crossword puzzles. In a very short time I was looking for boots and warm clothing, and then it was up to me, of course, to plow through the deep snow on our stairs. Twila followed haltingly. I didn't wait to catch her if she fell, because she would have fallen in a cushion of deep snow.

Our driveway was plowed, so it was an easy walk to the highway. Then Twila was astonished to see that the sidewalks had not been cleared, even though three people walking on them on a clear day would be a high number. She wanted to turn back, but I had gone too far for that.

So we walked through the snow and slush on the road, and most cars had sympathy and gave us a wide berth. Twila mailed her envelope, we went to a bank that was supposed to be open but was closed, and we went to a grocery store that was out of everything we needed. And then we headed home.

We'd only been back on the road for a few hundred yards when Twila stopped suddenly and asked me, "Do I have poop on my head?"

What can I say? Life in New York has been a strange adventure.

No comments: