Sunday, December 26, 2010

What I do.

Today is the 6 month anniversary of the day we arrived in New York. You've heard many stories of Twila's adventures here, exploring museums, parks, catacombs, etc. She did many of those trips alone. I don't much like talking about myself, but I suppose it's only fair to tell what I do during the days.

First, it would help if I mention a couple of differences between Twila and myself. She is Ms. Do-It-Now; I am Mr. Do-It-Later. She loves new adventures; I love familiar pastimes. She has a lot of get-up-and-go; I have a lot of sit-down-and-relax.

A good illustration is Twila's dream life when she's through with her business - she wants to join the Peace Corps. When she told me that, I was like "WHAT THE FROCK?" I've spent most of my life working hard and I'd like to sit back and enjoy retirement. Going to some backwards location to work for free and risk exotic diseases and mosquito bites is not at the top of my list. Fortunately, we aren't going to have to resolve that situation for a few more years.

When I started thinking about this post, I thought that I could say that Twila wants to learn about more of the world and I want to learn about more of myself. Then I realized that I was flattering myself. The truth is that Twila is an ambitious explorer and I am an unmotivated hedonist.

Anyway, most of my days are similar. I arrive home from work at 8:15 AM. Twila has fixed coffee, toast, and a bowl of fruit for me. I plop down on the couch and grab my laptop. I go to yugster.com, woot.com, and freedownloadaday.com. Then I go to sfgate.com/sports to check on the 49ers, Sharks, and Warriors. I don't follow the Giants. After sfgate I read 49er news on an ESPN page. Those are the prelims. At about that time, Twila is ready to go for her run.

"Have a good run, honey."

My exercise these days consists of walking up and down the stairs to my loft office.

After the prelims I read news on CNN, then opinions on the New York Times and Washington Post, then some articles on the Huffington Post. Twila returns from her run and I ask for "l'histoire du jour", and she usually has one. She showers while I read the print edition of USA Today. I pick up my iPhone and do a crossword puzzle, maybe a half-dozen Skee-Ball flicks, and some Angry Birds or Fragger. By then it's 11 AM and I figure it's time to get some work done, so I go upstairs to my office. I sit down at my computer and get busy. The next thing I know it's time for dinner.

It's odd. I always have a list of things to do, but often at the end of the day very few of them have been done. Nevertheless, I usually feel that I've accomplished a lot, even if I can't remember what it was.

Of course, once in a while I accompany Twila on her adventures. Those are good days, too.

1 comment:

skipway said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.