Saturday, December 4, 2010

Musings.

Both modules are in 12-tants now, maximum work. I have to keep going to work earlier to ensure that the grinds are done when the techs arrive, but loading the strongbacks doesn't take as much time as I'd feared. I'd prepared a system and it works.

When I'm at work no-one else is around, at least for the first four hours. Sometimes I play music - Pandora or MOG. Other times, though, I enjoy working in silence and letting my head wander as far as it can without losing focus on the job. It jumps to weird places. A few days ago I was thinking that an undergraduate is someone who hasn't earned their bachelor's degree, and a postgraduate is someone studying for a master's or PhD. That doesn't make sense. Why isn't it 'overgraduate'? Of course, English is full of things like that. I'm glad my native language is English, because I'd hate to have to learn it.

Today I didn't play music, and a silly song popped into my head, "Yankee Doodle".

Yankee Doodle went to town
Riding on a pony.
He stuck a feather in his cap,
And called it macaroni.

I've probably heard that refrain hundreds of times, but today it struck me. What is that? He stuck a feather in his cap and called it macaroni? Today that guy would be on the terrorist watch list in two minutes. And what kind of name is 'Yankee Doodle'? Is he supposed to be related to Howdy Doodle or something?

1 comment:

skipway said...

Traditions place its origin in a pre-Revolutionary War song originally by British military officers to mock the disheveled, disorganized colonial "Yankees" with whom they served in the French and Indian War. It is believed that the tune comes from the nursery rhyme Lucy Locket. One version of the Yankee Doodle lyrics is "generally attributed" to Doctor Richard Shuckburgh, a British Army surgeon. According to one story, Shuckburgh wrote the song after seeing the appearance of Colonial troops under Colonel Thomas Fitch, Jr., the son of Connecticut Governor Thomas Fitch

Etymology

As a term Doodle first appeared in the early seventeenth century, and is thought to derive from the Low German dudel or dödel, meaning "fool" or "simpleton". The Macaroni wig was an extreme fashion in the 1770s and became contemporary slang for foppishness. The implication of the verse was therefore probably that the Yankees were so unsophisticated that they thought simply sticking a feather in a cap would make them the height of fashion.

wiki