Saturday, September 25, 2010

AIEEEEEEE Part 2

This is your gypherophobe speaking. I've had it in my mind that I wanted to walk across the Hudson. The city of Poughkeepsie boasts a pedestrian bridge that sits 212 feet above the water and also happens to be the longest elevated pedestrian bridge (at 1.28 miles) in the world. Here's the bridge. The second photo shows the bridge in the background.




























I'm proud to report I had no difficulty with the crossing (nor did Arthur, who is not a gypherophobe). Once we got to the other side, we saw a map that suggested we could walk south for a half mile to the Mid Hudson Bridge and cross back over to Poughkeepsie. Check it out.

This one was tougher. And somewhere in the middle of the bridge (I'm not sure where because I had my eyes closed), there are some smokin' speakers and a bunch of buttons you can push. Each button blares some type of "bridge music," or sounds created by various musicians pounding on the bridge railings, or dropping BBs into the pipes or something. It was extremely cool except for the fact that the music made the bridge vibrate. I'm not kidding. Arthur wanted to take a photo of the terror on my face, but I wouldn't stand for it. This was supposed to be a proud moment!

No comments: