Friday, September 10, 2010

I'm Baaaaaaack

My return to Colorado for ten days resulted in some unexpected culture shock. In contrast to New York, Colorado has beautiful mountains, lots of space, dry air, and remarkably few people. I (and you) already knew that, of course, but stepping out of teeming steaming New York and dropping into rural Loveland reminded me just what we would be giving up if we lived in NY permanently.

I had two things to do while in CO. One was to check for bear damage. The neighbors informed me that the bear was sighted only at our house -- much to their relief. And much to *my* relief, the bear seems to have fled, leaving behind a trail of extraordinarily clean plum pits. Lots and lots of plum pits. I did sleep with the windows and doors closed, though. Later I realized how utterly silly that was.

But the true purpose of my trip to CO was to embark, with Tanya, on our third pilgrimage to the Telluride Film Festival -- an otherworldly experience in an otherworldly location.

Much to Durf's relief, my return takes him off the daily-blogging hook, or so he thinks.

6 comments:

Holly said...

Okay, so we're all dying to know what the best indie films of the next year will be. We want THE LIST!

Also, if you could remind us of past indie films from Telluride that made it big, it would give your list a lot more credibility. Not that we don't trust your judgment or anything...

Durf said...

I don't think I would have left the bedroom sliding door open, personally, since being attacked in my sleep by a bear is not on my bucket list.

Judy Young said...

I'm going to Palm springs film festival in January. What are this year's top choices? Last year, " Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" won.... not my kind of movie.

Glad you are closer to Leslie in NYC... just in case she needs you.

Arthur K. said...

So, Let me guess; at least some of these:

The Kings Speech,
Carlos ( all 5 hours worth)
Precious Life
Of Gods and Men
127 Hours
And what else?/
The above possibilities are from my favorite reviewer, Morgenstern.
What a good tradition to keep up with!

skipway said...

I'm glad you were not bear lunch and am glad for Durf that you are back in domicile.

Ed said...

Maybe it was a stump bear???