Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Of Shootings & Communication

The best part of yesterday was hearing my brother's voice on the phone in the evening. If I let myself think about coincidences and close calls, I won't sleep for weeks. Dan shouldn't have been in the library, but he was. There was a mix-up in the time of his meeting and that put him in the lobby of the library when the shooter came in. So there he was, shoulder to shoulder with a crazy man carrying an AK-47. And no cell phone!

Kathy, bless her heart, called early in the morning to let us know he was ok -- before we even knew about the shooting. She had already texted her kids and managed to reach me on my mobile phone. I in turn texted Tanya and the communication chain was in motion.

The news went viral on Twitter almost immediately. And it was a looooonnng time after the first tweet before the traditional news organizations picked up the story.

As the details poured in, Durf said, "You had to know it would be a math major. They're all crazy." And as my brother was hanging up last night, he said, "You had to know it would be a math major." And I'm thinking, "Gimme a break! What's wrong with math majors???"

No comments: