Thursday, September 16, 2010

Fires & Farewells

The news is looking up. The Loveland fire is 65% contained and firefighters expect to have it fully contained by Friday evening -- barring mishaps like strong winds. We have heard from friends and relatives many of whom related to us stories of the '91 Oakland fires. Interestingly, while Oakland was burning in 1991, Durf and I were hiking in the Himalayas...with Pandey.

As you undoubtedly surmised from Durf's post, we spent most of yesterday mourning Pandey's departure. Fortunately, I was swamped with work, but I did have some time to reflect on a couple of Pandey's observations and experiences.

Although he was apprehensive about visiting the U.S., his curiosity eventually won out and he scheduled a visit (after some 20 years of cajoling on my part). He said he had been reluctant because the U.S. is "too advanced." Certainly he had some anxiety about getting around, but I doubt it was a significant factor. After all, he has traveled (alone) to over 15 western countries. No, I honestly think he was worried about how he would be treated. Pandey is an extremely successful businessman, having built a big adventure travel business from the ground up. And he is a proud man. He wants to be treated with respect. That's all.

Sadly, he was somewhat justified is his fears. He related stories of his travels in New Jersey and Washington D.C. where random service providers decided he did not need service or at least did not need good service. I myself witnessed this once on the train here in New York. For the first time, while in Pandey's company, I observed gratuitous rudeness on the part of a train conductor. And it was directed at Pandey. It was disheartening, I must say.

Fortunately, those incidents were few, and Pandey left with a newfound love for "America and its wonderful people." I'm glad because that's how I feel about his country and his people.

2 comments:

skipway said...

good news about the fire. I am glad that Mr. Pandey did not have any really bad experiences--always a real possibility for dark skinned visitors and considering the high percentage of yahoos, bigots and downright ignorant folks among our citizenry. I am still curious about what "pukka vegetarian" means--vegan? organic? only the highest quality?

twila said...

yep, vegan.