Sunday, September 26, 2010

Zee

When we have visitors, we like to make them pick the play we go to -- for obvious reasons. We don't like to be held responsible for lousy soporific shows.

Arthur picked The Zero Hour, which is a play about Zero Mostel (Zee to his friends), directed by Piper Laurie. When I think about Zero Mostel, I think comedian. And that's it. Usually I don't think about him at all. When I found out he was in A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum, I wanted to know even less about him. I mean, look at this guy. He thinks this is funny hair!










Over the course of the evening, I discovered that Mostel was an interesting man. His enduring fame has much to do with his performance before the House Un-American Activities Committee. No doubt his best performance. But I'll have to be honest, I laughed at almost all the jokes, too.

Good job, Arthur!

No comments: