Friday, September 3, 2010

Give us this day our daily blog.

Earl is on the way, arrival time tonight, but apparently he wasn't able to keep it up. All we'll have is rain and a little wind. Nothing like Hurricane Hazel, which I experienced in Syracuse in 1954. It was the night my sister Judi was born.

I thought I'd be going to work tomorrow, but no. I'm officially on vacation for a week. Yay. It's the first time I've left work and felt sad because I'm going on vacation.

There was an article in a local paper yesterday. "The Sleepy Hollow Police Department will be stepping up efforts to curb speeding throughout the village," is how it starts. The speeding I've already mentioned. Sleepy Hollow is just north of Tarrytown. In fact, it was called North Tarrytown until about 8 years ago, when someone lost his head and renamed it. I was sorry that the article wasn't about Tarrytown speeders getting nabbed, but every little bit helps.

It turns out the SHPD just received $11,000 worth of new radar equipment. Here are some quotes from the Chief of Police. "If the speed limit is 30 miles per hour, we can't give a ticket for 31 miles an hour. It won't hold up in court. [That's good, because here I drive at 4 MPH over the speed limit, since going slower might get me shot.] "It has to be 10 miles per hour over the limit." [Whoa!] "On Broadway, 15 miles per hour. We like to give the benefit of the doubt to the person in the vehicle." [Broadway is the road I commute to work on. The speed limit is 35 for half of it, and 30 for the other half. Going 45 in a 30 MPH zone used to be grounds for loss of license, but I guess no more.]

Really, though, does something ring false here? The SHPD gets a whole bunch of new radar guns, and the Chief of Police gives an interview saying that 15 MPH over the speed limit is A-OK? I sense many dollars flowing into the Sleepy Hollow coffers. Personally, I'll be staying at the speed limit + 4 MPH.

Finally, I read The Huffington Post most days. Today there were some good videos: a guy and a woman duking it out at the U.S. Open, a girl throwing puppies into a river, and lots of people dumping on Sarah Palin. But the one that affected me most was of Kate Moss being assaulted by paparazzi at LAX. It's really freaky.


No comments: