Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Breaded? Good Grief.

What is New York's obsession with breaded food? I completely understand Colorado's (and Ohio's and ...) obsession with fried food. They don't know any better. In Colorado, everyone cooks the same way. You grill the steak and drop everything else in the deep fryer. You jam all that food in your mouth while standing at the sink, and then you go out and milk the cows.

New York should know better. It is the most diverse city in the U.S. (I think). It's been exposed to many different foods cooked many different ways. At this point, New York's taste in food should be terribly refined.

Durf and I, coming from Colorado, swore to ourselves that we would gorge on good seafood while in NY. Recently we went to a purportedly *good* seafood restaurant here in Westchester. I'd been waiting for the perfect place to order lobster. This seemed to be the place. I explained to the waiter that I didn't want to wrestle my dinner into my mouth and he agreed to serve it to me without the shell. Yay!

But what appeared on my plate a while later was some breaded lumps wallowing in linguine. I was pretty sure I had someone else's fried chicken. But no, it was indeed my lobster -- breaded for my Colorado taste buds, I guess.

No comments: