Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Liberries

Do you know why people mispronounce library? It's a protest. No language should contain a word that has the "br" sound right in the middle of it. Ask any six year old.

What I really want to talk about is how wonderful it is to live among people who love libraries. Most communities in which I've lived have relegated the library to cast-off warehouses or dark, dank, low-ceilinged buildings that even senior center administrators won't touch. Then they allocate to the library a budget that wouldn't support the book collection of a hamster...or a Sarah Palin or a George Bush.

In contrast, the libraries of Westchester County are gorgeous and inviting. I have yet to find one I don't love. Check it out:

I admit, it might be hard to see why I'm gushing over this place, but take a look inside:

This is the "reading room" and it's just as gigantic as it looks. The sun pours in, the chairs are comfy. It's like hanging out in the library you always wanted to have in your own mansion one day

And here's the library in Rye (a mere 10 miles away). It too is gorgeous inside.

Today I'm off, yet again, to the NY Public Library. As you know from earlier posts, I won't find any books there, but I'll be able to sit in some comfy chairs.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

What drives me nuts is when TV meteorologists say 'tempacheer'. I mean, really. Don't they know better?

Unknown said...

Well, our former president was a supporter of "nucular" weapons more than he was of "liberries". The sad part of all of this is that the evolution of language eventually follows common usage regardless of how incorrect, obfuscating, and offensive it may be.
(Please note the closing quotation mark falls before the end of the above sentence, which is designated by the .)