Thursday, November 11, 2010

Deathdays.

Are we supposed to remember deathdays? It's probably not very important one way or another, but sometimes I wonder about it. We do remember birthdays, but it seems like that makes more sense, especially if the person is still alive.

An example: my mother was born on October 25, 1923. I remember that, hopefully I always will, although for most of my life I thought she'd been born in 1925. No matter. She died a while ago, and I don't remember the date. I don't even remember the year, but 2004 would be my first guess. Does it matter that I don't remember? Does it matter that I don't really care that I don't remember?

I loved my mom, even though our relationship had its ups and downs. She was my mother, after all. She made me what I am, by both nature and nurture, more than anyone else did or ever could. I look at pictures of her and cry, often. I'm more happy than you could imagine that the last time I saw her was our closest time together in probably 40 years.

Her deathday was a really important day in her life, and in mine. Should I remember the date? Does it matter?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Birthdays are the important ones, those are the days you celebrate. Having said that, my mother passed away on 9/11/01. I don't think I'll ever forget that.

Ed

Anonymous said...

My mother died on Halloween in the late afternoon. Instead of lighting a candle on her Hebrew anniversary, I do it on Halloween every year. It gives me a sense of peace.

Helene

Anonymous said...

I don't do dates well. My Mom " kinda died" when she had her stroke. Her body died 8 years later..I think..... But my Mom lives on in our family traditions and recipes....and unconditional love that she taught me.

Jan said...

September 5, 2002. I had to look it up to be sure. Birthdays are easier to remember in many ways. I do remember the smile on her face when I told her you were coming. She was just waiting to make sure you were coming. That's all she needed to tie up the loose ends. She was happy and peaceful.