Friday, November 19, 2010

Twila O'Keeffe

I spent yesterday in the Seaport District, of Manhattan, which is south of the Financial District. Ha! I bet you didn't even know there was land between the Financial District and the East River.

My original destination was the Stieglitz exhibition at the Seaport Museum. But my ticket included a self-guided tour of some of the old sailing boats sitting in the harbor. So what could I do...?

First I communed with Al. He photographed NYC over a period of some 40 years, beginning when cameras were still unwieldy, the development process cumbersome, and the results uneven. On view were some of his iconic shots and under each and every photo was an explanation of why the shot was interesting. I *loved* it.

In fact, I loved it so much I was inspired to do a little experimental photography of my own, using the sailing ships as subjects. It's a good thing Durf wasn't with me. I had to lie down flat on my back for a couple of the shots. He thinks I do that kind of thing to embarrass him. Anyway, one of the shots below was taken from a standing position, the other from a supine position. Can you tell which was which? It's obvious, I guess. The better question is: Can you see how the higher position flattens the image?

Nope, neither can I.


No comments: