Monday, August 9, 2010

Carny Scam

We went to Coney Island on Friday. These days, I enjoy most rides only vicariously. Since I began running back in the late 70s, I have not been able to ride on anything the least bit spinny, like this one: (Can you see Tash & Tatiana?)

Nor will I ride on anything that takes you into the stratosphere and *then* spins you, like the ride in the second photo.

Carny games are another matter. I admit that they pull me like the moon pulls the ocean...or whatever. I am well aware of how difficult it is to win anything on the midway. I've even read with great amusement the ingenious game-rigging that carnies engage in to prevent you from walking off with a $5 stuffed toy.

But we all suffer from a certain amount of arrogance from time to time (don't we?). I figured I could find a game to play that couldn't be rigged. You're probably way ahead of me. I chose the horse race game. One that Durf and I have played many many times. It's the one where each player takes a seat with a water gun mounted in front. At the sound of a bell, you advance a horse by shooting water at a target. The first horse to the finish wins. And of course the shooter gets a prize. There must always be a winner among the shooters. SO...Tatiana and I stepped up to play. It was just the two of us. One of us would win a prize.

We sat, we aimed, the carny said, "Everybody ready?" and the starting bell went off. Tatiana and I concentrated hard. When the game was over, I was sure I had won but I planned to give Tatiana my prize. Well, you probably know what happened, right? Just before the starting bell, someone slipped into a seat down at the other end of the booth. And yep, she beat us both by a mile. She didn't even claim her prize. Boy was I steamed.

No comments: