Friday, August 20, 2010

So You're Not a Museum Person?

Well, have I got a museum for you. Dia:Beacon. And it's a mere 35 miles north of Tarrytown.

It's not a joke museum, not a light-weight, fluffy, lowest-common-denominator tourist museum. It's a serious museum, but with something for everyone.

So you have some Andy Warhol (no explanation needed), some Sol LeWitt wall drawings which look like my old high school geometry homework -- after it has been graded. I spent a long time in the LeWitt gallery trying to figure out if I could replicate the drawings.

You also have some Dan Flavin (fluorescent light structures), some _____ (can't remember his name), an exhibit consisting of crushed automobiles with interesting post-crush paint jobs.

And many others.

And then...AND THEN... up in the attic, I found a treasure trove of Louise Bourgeois's penis sculptures. My goodness, the cherry on top!

2 comments:

Durf said...

Ah, hah! I'm off to the grocery to buy a bottle of cherries!

skipway said...

I don't plan on being in the Tarrytown vicinity . . . again. Congrats on your cherry discovery.

The moon will be full around 10 am PDT on your b-day.