Thursday, August 19, 2010

My Job, Part 2b: The Optic

(If you're interested in how the telescope is being made and how it works, there is some info in the comments in Part2a.)

I blabbed a lot yesterday, so I'll just post a couple more pictures now. First, here is a baby optic - only 8 layers. This is a real one... it will be going into space. The picture isn't great quality because I took it this morning with my phone.


Here is another cellphone photo. It's half of one of the frames that will carry an optic into space.


There is a cyclotron on the property. Don't worry, it's too small to create a black hole. This morning I took a photo of the target area (it was being worked on).


Finally, one of the guys planted a garden just outside the lab.



2 comments:

skipway said...

hi Twidurf,

it seemed like I'd just missed a few days of your blog, but I guess it's been more than 10. life goes by in an undifferentiated blur here at The OFH.

Durf, your comments on your dad were very poignant and filled me in on some significant chunks of your back story. Your job sounds stressful. I thought you were doing computer stuff, but it sounds like you're doing hands-on physical stuff. I must have missed or misunderstood the job description. I'm glad you got a new computer. Based on what I've heard about your and Twila's experiences with Apple, it seems to me that they are not so exalted as I had been led to believe.

Twila, I empathize with your Jewish museum experience. I couldn't even bring myself to watch Schindler's List.

I'll try to catch up soon on the archived posts I've missed. You guys are prolific!

skip

skipway said...

talk about being in a fog! the last time I checked your blog before today was July 30! I have just hurriedly read all the entries from July 31 thru yesterday. alot has gone on! I don't have the energy to comment further than this:

Durf, I now know what you do on your job, and the project is very thrilling in its scope. I hope the new computer is trouble free. and I hope the lower body ailment is gone.

Twila, I'm amazed at your energy and how many experiences you are cramming into your NY stay.

Finally, I hope the bedbugs don't bite!

bye . . .