Sunday, August 29, 2010

A NYC Secret Only the Tourists Know

When Tash was here for a visit, the first time we found ourselves in Grand Central Terminal and heading for an exit, she suddenly veered off course and went and stood with her face pressed to the corner of a wall outside the Oyster Bar. Hmmmmm. What did I say to upset her, I wondered. Or...maybe she was playing Hide and Seek with little Ricky? When she didn't come out of the corner, I turned to her husband (Big Rick) for help, but he was no longer beside me. I looked around and found him pressing his face to a corner on the opposite side of the room, some 40 feet away. Oh man, I thought, and I'm letting these people stay in my home?

Turns out the alcove outside the Oyster Bar, know as the whispering gallery, was invented and built by architect Rafael Guastavino so that tourists from all over the world could teach New Yorkers a thing or two about the architectural wonders of their own city.

If you and a partner stand in opposite corners of the alcove and whisper into the wall, you can hear each other quite clearly. Durf and I tried it last night. It works!

No comments: