Monday, August 2, 2010

Rain.

When I posted the photo of my amazing air-conditioner vertical exhaust, a friend asked, "What happens if it rains?" Good question. This being New York, rain sometimes comes down. Here is a photo of an uncovered skylight with clouds in the background:


When the rain comes down, it hits the skylight and rolls off onto the roof and then down to the ground, etc. However, this being New York, sometimes the rain doesn't come down, it goes sideways. One night Twila and I were sitting in the living room and the rain started going sideways. Suddenly she jumped up and shouted, "It's raining in here!" Well, my gosh, it was. I investigated and rain was entering the AC exhaust skylight and running along the ceiling to a place where it becomes vertical, which happens to be right over Twila's chair. I realized I had to fix that.

Here is the modification I applied to the skylight cover. I cut a flap in it, so I can insert a tool and turn the thing that opens and closes the skylight. Problem solved!


That is, almost. This being New York, rain can start suddenly and with very little warning, even on days that are supposed to be sunny. If we're out and I've forgotten to close the skylight, rain could come in. At least Twila won't be in her chair.

1 comment:

Dan said...

They call this "just in time" engineering, Durf.