Sunday, August 1, 2010

The Marathon is On My Mind

Here it is...the first tangible reminder that the NY Marathon is coming up fast. Anyone interested in running? The lottery is long over, but I understand if you run for certain charities, you can still get it. I don't know about running unregistered, though. NY plants "bandit catchers" in Central Park to scoop up unregistered runners and eject them. I've heard they catch about 400 every year. And let me advise you that training in NY is probably not wise, given the number of cracked and uneven sidewalks (if you run on the streets), or old rotten roots and protruding rocks (if you run on trails). I'm so banged up I could probably enter the wheelchair division.

1 comment:

Dan said...

Maybe twenty years ago, when Janis and I were visiting New York, I ran the last ten miles, more or less, of the NY Marathon. I started where they come off the bridge into Manhattan; just jumped in, totally bandit. As I was nearing the finish line, and I had no intention of crossing it anyway, a couple of your "bandit catchers" grabbed me and pretty much threw me to the side. I guess I don't blame them, but I did think they were rougher than they needed to be; I wasn't resisting in any way. It might be that now they remove bandits even earlier in the Park.