Monday, August 2, 2010

Farmers & Beefcakes

When we lived in CA, I had to get up early to go to the farmer's market. Otherwise my favorite farmer-baker would be plumb out of those excellent gooey sticky buns. And by 9:30, the entire block or two or three that the market spanned would be so crowded that I'd have to literally *push* my way from one end (bread) to the other (strawberries).

So this last weekend, I started early toward the Tarrytown Farmer's Market. I arrived at the appointed place about an hour after it was to have opened. Before my eyes stood six (that would be 6) booths containing an alarmingly small selection of goods. Good-looking goods, for sure, as the lines for onions and arugula would attest. But really, six booths?

Mind you, that would be approximately double the number of booths at the Loveland Farmer's Market. And I don't think I would ever use the words "good looking" to describe the anemic collection of wilted plants for sale in Loveland. But I expected more from NY.

Maybe Tarrytown hosts so small an event because each of the little communities here in lower Westchester County has its own farmer's market. And the towns are so close together, perhaps the farmers expect that we will hop from one market to the next, much as people hop from one garage sale to the next on any given weekend morning.

What I did find in abundance on the street in front of the TT Farmer's Market, were fire trucks. More fire trucks than booths, in fact. For a moment I thought the trucks were evidence of a catastrophe that had befallen the town and kept all the other booths from setting up. But on closer inspection, I saw many a beefcake firefighter sunbathing on and around his truck and/or interacting with the milling crowd. New York sure does love its firefighters.

No comments: