Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Himalayan Nostalgia

The Rubin Museum is devoted to art of the Himalayas. I happen to be interested in all things Himalayan, so visiting the museum has been high on my list of things to do. However, the impending arrival of an Indian friend (and mountain climber) inspired me to check out the museum sooner rather than later.

Just as an aside, I have been looking forward with great anticipation to this friend's visit. I love this man. He has saved my life on more than one occasion. And I'd like nothing more than to do the same for him. Which might well be necessary. He is due to arrive in a week or so, but his communications have been somewhat enigmatic. For example, he said "I'm flying in to New York City on September 11, so can you pick me up in Newark, NY?" Or more challenging: "I am returning to NY on Friday at 4 p.m. and have a dinner that night in Washington D.C. How do I get there?"

I received this email only yesterday and he's leaving India in a couple of days. I think I'm far more stressed than he is. Another reason to scurry over to the museum in search of a Buddha who can help me out. I'm thinking White Tara (compassion and serenity).

The Rubin, formerly a Barney's department store, is tucked away on a side street in Chelsea. I was expecting something tiny, but I walked in to an elegant lobby with five more floors above it. Serendipitously, I stumbled into my own private tour, conducted by a former Tibetan refugee now living in the U.S. We spent a good hour together during which she corrected many of my misconceptions and directed me to exhibits for further study. When I'd had enough education for one day, I sought out Tara and we had a lovely talk. Now I'm ready for anything.

No comments: