Friday, August 27, 2010

Jazz in Westchester


Do any of you music mavens know who this is? The title offers a clue, of course.

Throughout August, Tarrytown hosts free Sunset Concerts on Thursdays at the Lyndhurst Estate (described in an earlier blog). I use the term "free" advisedly because of the $10 parking fee.

I finally made it to a concert and was astonished to see the turnout. Westchester does love its jazz. Undeterred by the cover charge, the monied Westchesterites drove their BMWs, Mercedes-Benzes, Jags, and Lexi onto the beautiful west lawn of Lyndhurst, and in a moment of reckless abandon, donned flipflops and carried picnic baskets to the banks of the Hudson...right behind the bowling alley. (An upscale *private* bowling alley, to be sure.)

I've never taken a fancy to jazz. I don't know if it's because of my classical training or my pathologically ordered mind. (Helene, you'll have to weigh in on this as the most accomplished musician among us.) But the setting was glorious, the weather perfect and the gemutlichkeit widespread!

2 comments:

skipway said...

a drummer? I'm wondering how the title is a clue. Willy Westchester?

skipway said...

Take 2: Bobby Sanabria (I never heard of him, I admit, but he's the dude in the pic.)