Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Croton-on-Hudson

Is that a pretentious name or what?

Nonetheless, Croton boasts some unique attractions that inspired me to make the trip north. First, it is the north end of the aqueduct trail I keep telling you about. I have yet to stay on the trail for an entire run, but now I know what awaits me at one end.
The road across the top of the dam has been closed to vehicular traffic since 9/11, but pedestrians and bikes are free test their various phobias.

Croton is also one of three towns in the U.S. that still has an operating dummy light. (I don't know how this statistic has been verified, so if you know of a fourth, good for you!) Here it is:

Cute, but dangerous, they say. But towns in Westchester County would always choose cuteness over safety.

And last but not least, I saw a write-up of the Blue Pig in the NYT and I just had to check it out. It is a to-die-for ice cream factory. See the photo below.

Unprepossessing for an ice cream *factory* wouldn't you say? And there's something wrong with a person who would use the word "pig" in the name of his ice cream store.

1 comment:

Dan said...

Well, ... and how's the ice cream?