Saturday, July 31, 2010

Bambu, Sarah and Pablo at the Met

I went to the Met yesterday to see three special exhibits that are about to end, but when I came upon this thing (titled "Bambu"), I thought perhaps I had taken the wrong train and somehow ended up at MOMA.

One possible explanation for the chaos of this display is that the artists did not construct the piece. They conceived of it and then recruited rock climbers to build it with bamboo and climbing rope. Because the assembly instructions were suspect and because the finished product was on the roof, I did not climb in it.

I also wanted to see the fluffy American Women costume exhibit, narrated by the still-reviled Sarah Jessica Parker. It was fun, and crowded.

Best of all was the Picasso exhibit. I mean you gotta love...er hate...er hmmmm...the guy. When I think about him, I can't help conjuring Wilt Chamberlain and Roman Polanski at the same time. Talk about waking nightmares! But I also can't deny that his art work is interesting. And when listening to lectures by curators who think he was a genius, I want to stay until closing time.

2 comments:

skipway said...

that fuckin' greatest artist of the 20th c., Picasso! I wonder if Wilt would do Roman? why is SJP reviled--by you?

no vv today--maybe I have to sign in?

Dan said...

Was there a specific reason, Twila, that you wanted to stay at the Met until closing? Did you intend to prosecute some unspeakable act on the poor curators who are, intentionally or not, oblivious to Picasso's abuses?