Friday, July 2, 2010

New Yorkers

Our apartment is in Tarrytown NY. Before moving here, I asked one of Durf's colleages (who is from CA) if he found the people around here friendly. I think I startled him or something because he just looked at me. Then he burst into raucous laughter.

Shortly thereafter, I went to the grocery store. About halfway through my basket of goodies, the check-out clerk stopped all activity and began staring at me. I looked back and smiled pleasantly. She did not smile and she did not continue moving my items to the bagging area. I looked up and she was still staring at me. It was a NY stand-off. I was beginning to think I should see if I had all my clothes on when suddenly she said in a loud and grumpy voice, "ID." (I was purchasing a bottle of wine.)

I relayed this story to a neighbor, who snorted sympathetically and said, "What? She can't see you're old?"

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Ohhhhhh, congratulations!!!!!