Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Bosom Buddies

Speaking of bosom buddies, yesterday Durf and I continued our debate about whether or not New Yorkers are friendly and how said friendliness (or lack thereof) compares to CO's.

Durf's colleague (the one he is *not* bosom buddies with) characterizes New Yorkers as helpful but not friendly. My characterization would be that NYers are brusque but willing to be friendly. Coloradans are extremely reserved, but willing to be cordial.

Neither compares to Californians who are more than willing to tell you their deepest secrets within ten minutes of an initial meeting. Encounter-group-culture residue, maybe? Yesterday, as I was getting my hair cut, I was taking note of the fact that I had been sitting in the chair for 30 minutes and my hairdresser had said nary a word. Then she burst forth with a personal question, "So, what have you found to do in Tarrytown?" Contrast this with my long-time California hairdresser, who upon meeting me for the first time asked, "How do you like my dark roots? I wear my hair this way because my husband likes the trashy look. It turns him on."

I loved my CA hairdresser!

No comments: