Monday, July 12, 2010

NY Miscellany

A couple of random observations that are in danger of falling through the cracks:

-- It would seem that if you get mad while driving in NY, leaning on the horn is not sufficient expression of that anger. After you honk your horn, apparently you are supposed to thrust your torso out the window, wave your middle finger and holler at the top of your lungs. Don't hold back, in other words. I actually observed this twice yesterday.

-- Sometimes when I'm running through Tarrytown, drivers stop to let me cross in the crosswalk. Yesterday someone stopped and waved me across. Problem was, he wanted me to cross against the light and in front of traffic that was exiting from the thruway. Hmmmm. I wonder what that means.

-- My good friend, Arthur, once told me that if you couldn't run and talk at the same time you were running too fast. If that is true, then all the runners in NY run too fast.

-- Much to my surprise, I learned that the lovely restaurant, Half Moon, at which Durf & I celebrated our anniversary, is not named after NY's famous half moon cookies. It's named after Henry Hudson's ship. More's the pity. But I did find a wonderful bakery that sells the most delicious half moon cookies. All is well.

No comments: