Friday, July 16, 2010

NY Manicure

I know y'all think I'm living a life of leisure, but in truth I have an office here in NY and I am actually working. Nonetheless, I managed to squeeze in a manicure yesterday.

Please note: manicures are not a staple of my life (although I'm thinking of changing that policy). But checking out the local nail salon is an excellent way to experience a little more of the local culture -- in much the same way my baby sister used to check out the bathrooms in the homes of new friends.

As I opened the door to Rose's Nail Salon, I was particularly missing my sister Tanya. To me, frequenting a salon is a girlfriend activity. I once asked a friend if she wanted to go get haircuts together and she looked at me as though I'd asked her if I could use her toothbrush. "Such a girlie thing to do," she said. Tanya would have come with me though. She's game for *anything* -- although she probably wouldn't let me use her toothbrush.

At the salon, I tried to make friends with the elderly woman sitting next to me, but she was mostly annoyed that I was listening to her conversation with *her* nail tech. Nonetheless, we found ourselves heading to the drying machines at the same time, and she was moved to remind me to press the heat button but forgo the UV -- unless I wanted ugly age spots. Ah, a new friend.

1 comment:

Durf said...

Great blog, honey!