Thursday, July 15, 2010

Rats!

Sorry about the cliffhanger, yesterday. I didn't have to swim to the city after all. Durf had left the umbrella by the door (awwwwww). And then he came home from work in time to drive me to the train station (awwwwwww).

Because I had a lunch date, the day was split in two. Obviously, that limited my before-and-after-lunch activities to just one thing...shopping. Newsflash for all of you shoppers out there: If you go to Saks, you will not have to wait in line for a fitting room. If you go to J. Crew, you'll spend most of your valuable shopping time standing in line for a fitting room. Not me, though. I think standing in line to try on clothes is much like standing in line to donate a kidney. Not something I'm willing to do.

Later, walking home from the train station in the rain I was reminded of the time I ran the Point Reyes marathon in a driving rainstorm. At the start of the race, I was leaping over puddles, trying to keep my feet dry. So by mile 2 I was exhausted. But I wised up and for the remainder of the race, I simply plunged into the middle of the puddle and was much happier for it. I had a similar experience yesterday. The sidewalks and streets were filled with water. My detours toward the shallower puddles were wearing me out, so I started plunging in. I continued on my merry way and came upon a particularly wide and deep pool. I had my foot poised to plunge when I noticed an object floating in the water. Yep, you guessed it. A big old (dead) rat! Eeeewwwwww. New York has definitely scarred me for life!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Better a dead rat then a live rat
running up your leg.