Thursday, July 29, 2010

Where's Waldo?

Yeah, I know the title doesn't mean anything, but for some reason it popped into my head. Twila suggested that today (since it is best if one blogs every day) I blog about my job. That's a good idea, since the project (not my job) is interesting, but nah. Not today. Instead, I'm going to put up a couple of pictures. This first picture came out lousy because I took it with my iPhone, but hopefully you can see it. The thing on the bottom is some kind of horse or ass or something; the thing on the right is a ball of cotton with a face; and the thing on the left is one of the greatest presidents we've ever had, Franklin Delano Roosevelt, so go figure.


Now I'll show you something interesting, one of the greatest engineering achievements of all time. When we moved into this apartment, my office was designated as the loft. It, the bathroom and the kitchen are the only rooms in the apartment that aren't air-conditioned. It turned out to be a problem because there are two skylights, which let in a lot of heat and don't let any heat out if you open them. Therefore, the temperature in my loft office was getting into triple figures. I couldn't even run my iMac, for fear I'd damage it. My neighbor, Christian, whom I was unable to avoid, told me that he vacates his loft every summer and returns when it gets cooler, but I had nowhere to vacate to. So I improvised. I bought a nice air conditioner at Costco. The problem was that there really was no place to vent it, except for a skylight. I couldn't use any of the attachments that came with the thing, because my skylights are 42" long and 19" wide. They're also up, like most skylights. Fortunately, the box that the AC came in provided a neat solution (along with aluminum foil on the up side), and the box that our printer came in was the final piece to the puzzle. Tah Dah!







2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are very enterprising!

Arthur K said...

Is that vent inserted through the skylight?
What about rain?