Thursday, July 29, 2010

Where's Rhinebeck?

Durf had the day off yesterday and decided he would tag along with me to the FDR presidential library up in Hyde Park. I knew it would be a gorgeous drive along the Hudson, and as for the library itself, who doesn't have a renewed interest in FDR these days with Obama channeling him and all. Eleanor is well-represented at the library, too, much to my delight. I didn't know that FDR was such a gadfly before he entered politics. Nor did I realize how timid Eleanor was before she was forced into public life. Strange that politics can bring out the best in the likes of the Roosevelts and the worst in the likes of [fill in the name of any Republican].

This is the dress FDR wore for his christening. Yep, his christening. Lady Gaga of the 19th century?

And speaking of public life, as we briefly headed north from Hyde Park, we saw a funky sign on a lodge by the side of the road which read "Welcome Clinton Family." Hmmmm I thought to myself, are we near Rhinebeck or something? Sure enough, Rhinebeck is 10 miles north of Hyde Park. I guess the wedding location is not a secret (or fake secret) anymore.

1 comment:

Tina said...

So are you going to the wedding then?