Thursday, July 8, 2010

Feeding the Hungry?

I was in the Tarrytown grocery store the other day and I wheeled my cart by a woman standing in front of the grapes, rapidly popping one red grape after another into her mouth. Mind you, I've seen people eat grapes at the grocery store before, but surreptitiously and with guilty expressions on their faces. Oh, and in small quantities.

Then a few days later, I was at Costco and I headed for the vegetable platters -- the ones with a section full of cut-up cauliflower, another section of carrots, tomatoes, and broccoli. I was dropping the platter into my cart when I noticed the cauliflower section was empty. EMPTY! I went back for another and, yes, I saw someone folding back the plastic of one of the platters to get at a section of veggies.

But what tipped me over the edge was this: We bought a small package of snickers bars (you know, a *small* bag with maybe eight mini snickers) at the drug store. I had almost polished them off when I reached into the bag and pulled out a half-eaten snickers. Eewwwww! Sure enough, the other end of the bag had been ripped open.

Is this a New York thing?

No comments: