Saturday, July 24, 2010

Old

When I go from the wild west (whether CO or CA) to the east coast, I can't help but notice how old everything is here, relatively speaking. Yesterday as I was getting lost yet again on the aqueduct trail, I stumbled across a cemetery. It's fun to walk through old cemeteries. In Colorado while walking through cemeteries, I will occasionally come across a tombstone and think, "Whoa this guy died before I was born!" In NY cemeteries, I see a tombstone and think, "Whoa this guy died before my great grandmother was born!"

The sidewalks are old too, all cracked and distended. Even the gum on the sidewalks is old. The trees are so old, they fall down at the least provocation. (See July 5 blog.)

But New York reveres old...and treats old well. I know this because Durf, who is old, has benefitted from being old in NY. Because of his oldness, he is eligible for membership in TDF, which offers discount theater tickets to old people, like Durf. And with membership, he can purchase up to 9 discount tickets and take all his friends to the theater. The discount is phenomenal. Example: We have orchestra seat tix for the Broadway show "Next to Normal." Retail price: $121. Durf's price: $34.

We love New York.

No comments: