Friday, July 9, 2010

NYers, Part 3

I have something nice to say about NY drivers. On my pastoral and leisurely commute the lanes are narrow. Apparently the roads were built in the 1700s, when cars were much thinner than the SUV behemoths of today. When there are cyclists on the road, they wisely take a lane, since there are no shoulders and it would be hazardous for a car and a bike to share. Even where there is only one lane in each direction, cars slow for cyclists, wait until it is clear, then pull over and pass. It is almost like France or Colorado.

Yesterday I stopped in the left lane at a light. A woman pulled up in the right lane, which ends only a few yards past the light, so I knew that either she had erred or was planning to scoot in front of me. The latter proved to be true, although "squealed" would be more accurate than "scooted". When I pulled up behind her Ford Grand Crapolla at the next light, I saw that it had a large "God Bless America" decal with a flag, and Wisconsin plates.

"Ah," I thought, "a Republican."

She flew off when the light turned green, but she was still in sight when she zoomed up behind two cyclists. There were two lanes and no traffic, so there was plenty of room for her to pass. She swerved into the left lane at the last moment, then blasted her horn fiercely as she passed the bikers. What can you do then but sigh and shake your head? Some people make the world better, and others are festering pimples on the lily-white buttocks of life.

No comments: