Friday, July 30, 2010

Terror in Yonkers

If I had known, would I still have gone? Alone?

Yesterday I set out to continue my tour of the gardens and estates of Westchester County. My destination was Untermyer Park in Yonkers. My research on the park consisted of reading the various pamphlets and flyers I had amassed on the geography, architecture, and landscaping of the estates and parks along the Hudson.

When I located the gardens (within Untermyer Park) I was stunned by their beauty. STG, the layout was reminiscent of the Taj Mahal. I began photographing elements that I believe are evidence of Shah Jahan's influence. But I was just too curious to wait until I got home to confirm it. So I sat down on a bench and pulled out my trusty iphone to do a little web surfing. Then, lo and behold, what did I find?????

Cripes almighty! I was sitting in Son of Sam Park!! Somewhere around here David Berkowitz went into a German-shepherd-strangling frenzy. He participated in Satanic rituals. And he killed people!

After reading about the must-see parts of the park (listed by Haunted Hudson Valley), I was of two minds. Sure, I would be interested in going down to the site of Devil's Cave to look for traces of Satanic activity. But on the other hand, there was NOBODY in the park at all. And the woods were starting to look dark and deep. And I kept thinking I heard footsteps in the leaves behind me....

2 comments:

skipway said...

interesting comments. good jerryrig, Durf. weird FDR pic--also the christening dress--what were they thinking? Twila, I would have skedaddled too!

love from CA

PS, I'm seeing "about.blank" before every website address now. I don't know if it's malicious or it means the lcc is getting flaky (which I think is happening).

Dan said...

Nice photo of Untermeyer Park, Twila. But, somehow, my imagination fails me in its reminding me the photos I have seen of the Taj Mahal. I guess I'll just have to wait until we get there in October.