Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Invoking Invictus

That might be hyperbolic, but this weather can be a bit of a challenge when you want to be out and about. Yesterday I set off in search of the trail that traces the path of the old aqueduct (NY's first solution to water pollution). I was having little luck. (Why do they hide it, I wondered?) Maddened by the heat, I kept wandering off onto tiny little arteries that dead-ended long after warning signs should have been posted. And like the incredible shrinking man, I was gradually being dwarfed by my surroundings. At one point, I found myself standing before a house the size of Windsor Castle debating whether to knock on the door and ask for directions. Having been born a woman, I had little trouble with the decision. I knocked.

The mansion turned out to be Lyndhurst (architectural treasure), and the friendly caretaker, after asking if I was sure this was a good day for a walk, directed me to the trail (which actually crossed the grounds of the mansion).

Hours later I found my way home and went to bed.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
skipway said...

where did my comments go? this is fubar. I'll email you comments but you won't know that until I do because this comment will disappear. whoever designed this blog should be staked out over an anthill and have warm dr. pepper dripped on them.