Thursday, July 22, 2010

Women & the NYPL

Skip wants to know if I actually go along with Durf's comment about female drivers in NY. I'm still collecting data and it's all empirical of course, but my observations so far are that the men will shout obscenities and aggressively move into your lane. But the women will try to run you down. Not surprising perhaps in a city that produced the likes of Ann Coulter.

On to the New York Public Library. Remember the Croton Aqueduct trail I mentioned earlier -- the running trail I had trouble finding and then had trouble staying on? Well if I had run south and stayed on the trail, I'd end up at the NYPL because it sits on the site of the old reservoir.

The library has the feel of a museum. It does showcase a couple of huge, beautiful reading rooms, but its hallowed halls contain no books to speak of. What kind of a library is that? Other than a few reference books, the only books on the shelves are volumes containing images of cards from the old card catalog. If you want a book (and if you can decipher the new catalog system), then you can fill out a form, give it to the clerk and *wait* for your book to be sent up from under Bryant Park (see earlier post). Harumpf! I like a library with books in it, myself. This system works only if you know exactly which book you need.

I wouldn't mind sitting in the gorgeous reading room for a few hours, though -- if it weren't for all the tourists milling around.

No comments: