Wednesday, October 13, 2010

4-Second Condom Applicator

Now that's something I've been waiting years for! It's finally been invented and is currently on display (although not modeled or demonstrated) at the Cooper Hewitt Design Museum.

That discovery and unexpectedly free admission made yesterday at the Cooper Hewitt an excellent day, especially when topped off with a cupcake from Zaro's Bakery. Ok, ok, back to the museum.

The current exhibition contains what the curators deem to be some of the most significant design innovations of the years between 2006 and 2009 (actually, including 2009). Hence you have, in addition to the condom contraption, an exhibit on Twitter. And you probably remember reading in the newspaper about the eyeglasses that you can adjust yourself by inserting fluid between two pieces of plastic. They were on display, too.

The New York Times has some new ideas for presenting information. I thought I might skip that kiosk, but was drawn in by the visuals and ended up standing there for 20 minutes.

I loved the modular house and now desperately want one for myself. It's a tree house, after all. The cool thing is that it really is modular. That means the toilet is already installed, and all rooms are prepped for heat and electricity. You just turn on the utilities and move in (or climb up).

I inadvertently laughed out loud at one exhibit. I couldn't help it. It's Honda's long-in-development walking-assist device. It's actually a robot that can help people who have difficulty walking because of joint pain. Or it might be handy for workers who have to stand or stoop for long periods. The idea is to help with weight-bearing, while permitting continued mobility. Why did I laugh? Well, when it's attached to your body, it looks as though you just got off a bicycle and the bicycle stuck to your butt and legs. I know, I'm a neanderthal, but as I said, it was inadvertent. Here, judge for yourself:

No comments: