Saturday, October 30, 2010

Markets in Manhattan

When I think of open air produce markets, I think of Haymarket Square in Boston, probably because it was the first one I ever saw. It's been decades since I last laid eyes on Haymarket, but in my memory (or perhaps my imagination), it is still the standard.

I had hopes that Greenmarket in Union Square would take over the top spot. I read that some of the famous chefs of NYC browse the stands early in the morning to grab the best stuff before the hoi polloi arrives.

I'm sad to report that Greenmarket does not hold a candle to Haymarket, or to Pleasanton (CA) for that matter. Remarkably few produce stands, lots of so-so bakery stands (sampled them all, just to be sure) and a couple of flower stands. On the plus side, there were costumes (see, below):

I *think* that was a costume.

In defense of Greenmarket, the day was cold and uninviting. Chelsea Market was bound to shine in contrast, since it's indoors.

Chelsea Market did have its charms, and certainly was in the Halloween spirit:

As advertised, there were lots of delectable gourmet food shops. I'm going to drag Durf to the lobster bar where we can share a pound at the counter for a mere $49.

I'm not quite in the holiday spirit yet, but Bryant Park is pulling me along as I watch the staff build the park's ice rink and holiday market, both of which open soon, very soon:

No comments: