Sunday, October 3, 2010

Car Chases & Dancing

It's been ten years (unbelievable!) since I saw the movie "Billy Elliot." I loved it. The 2005 theatrical production in London was a huge hit and so is the US rendition, which has been running since 2008. Nothing could keep me from seeing the show while here in NYC, and last night was the night!

For those of you who have been under a rock for the last two years, Billy Elliot is the story of an eleven year old English coal miner's son who prefers dancing to boxing..and to standing in picket lines with his father and brother. So you might infer (correctly) that the show contains an abundance of dance and no (i.e. zero) car chases. If you ask me, the absence of car chases was a huge plus. Car chases are mind-numbingly boring...always. I think Durf might feel the same way about dance numbers, although if you ask him, he might say he doesn't mind a little bit of dancing. Perhaps because it helps him sleep? The occasional car chase might keep him awake.

I definitely liked the show, but it wasn't as good as the movie.

No comments: