Saturday, October 9, 2010

The Second Half

You might recall that to mark the start of our NYC odyssey, I embarked on a six hour self-guided walking tour of Midtown. So to mark the start of the second half, I planned a second walking tour, this time heading south and West mostly.

I arrived at Madison Square Park and was taking artsy photos of the Met Life Tower and the strange building next to it (the one on which the tower is about to fall in the photo below), when I spotted the Shake Shack.


For the next ten minutes, I tried to convince myself I was hungry so I could order the best hamburger and milkshake in town. I stalled by wandering around and around the park. Did you know that Madison Square Garden is *not* in Madison Square Park? No wonder it's hard to get a booking at The Garden. Nobody can find it!

Eventually, I dragged myself away from the Shake Shack and, at Arthur's suggestion (no, he's not still here), made my way over to the High Line, which is an urban garden that sits on the abandoned elevated RR tracks of a freight line that went out of business some 30 years ago. I sat on one of the cool lounge chairs for a while taking surreptitious photos of the strange and interesting people who walked by. Am I allowed to do that?

Next I went in search of Penn Station, thinking I needed to find a way to get to Boston some day. As soon as I saw the station, I started snapping photos. Five minutes and many photos later, I realized I was looking at the post office. But it's a really cool post office.

Eventually I found Penn Station, too, and lo and behold, there was Madison Square Garden sitting on top!

No comments: